5.14.2010

Golf, Ducks and Crafts

Last week, Jason took me to a driving range. I've never played "real" golf before–only Putt-Putt. I've never used "real" golf clubs before–again, only Putt-Putt clubs. And I've never tried to really hit the golf ball and drive it down the green (did I say that right, or did I just put a bunch of golfing words together to make it sound good?). Anyway, it was a perfect, sunny and warm evening with no wind. We picked a spot on the very end of the driving range. I guess Jason assumed I would need a lot of room–which was a safe assumption.

We set all of our clubs and golf balls down, and Jason showed me the basics of how to swing the club. It wasn't quite as romantic as you see in the movies. I think since we were on the end of the driving range and a majority of the golfers there were right-handed so they could easily look up and watch us, Jason didn't want to be too sentimental and look like a softie. So my golf lesson was quick, straight to the point, and I'll "figure it out" as I go.

A majority of the balls I hit didn't go very far, but that turned out to be a good thing! Once we were out of balls, we discreetly stepped across the rope barrier, collected the ones that didn't go anywhere and we tried again. Well, I shouldn't say "we" tried again because it was really me who put the balls there in the first place. I got a second chance to hit the balls farther than I did the first time and Jason just kept practicing and being the studly golfer he is!

I do feel sorry for the people who have to maintain the driving range. I might have made a bunch of holes in the ground from the many times I missed the ball and hit the ground instead. That was another good reason we were on the end of the range. I made so many holes, I constantly had to find a new spot to put my tee in the ground.

We had a lot of fun at the driving range, and I don't think I embarrassed Jason too much with my bad swings and holes in the ground!

My family came to visit us for Mother's Day this past weekend. It was so nice seeing them. I miss them so much! The girls went shopping–as is tradition when my family visits–and the guys went to a few museums and manly stores. Jason made a wonderful brisket for dinner on Saturday night. We also celebrated my sister's upcoming birthday with red velvet cupcakes. It was really nice seeing my family again. Next month we are going to Colorado with my parents and I can't wait!

We also celebrated Mother's Day with Jason's family on Sunday. We met them for lunch and had pizza with his mom's favorite crust–honey wheat! Jason's brother bought the biggest card for their mom and somehow managed to slip it underneath the tablecloth all the way over to her. It was pretty funny!

After lunch, Jason and I grabbed some day-old bread from the restaurant and fed the geese and ducks at a nearby park. I didn't know the geese could hiss! I really thought one of them was going to attack us to get the bread faster. Luckily, just as we ran out of bread, another car drove up and started feeding the birds. We laughed as we watched the ducks waddle-run as fast as they could to the new people so they could eat.

Jason's mom, Kathy, and I went to Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart Monday night. A certain someone (Jason's sister, Jessica) is graduating from high school and having a certain something (graduation celebration breakfast at church) that we are coming up with ideas on how to decorate her table. I finished a few of the decorations Tuesday night. (I might just post pictures after the breakfast because I think it turned out pretty cute!) I still have a few more things to make. I just love do-it-yourself crafts!

And now, I think you're just about caught up with everything!

No comments: