3.12.2010

Still Learning...

I've been waiting to post about this, so I thought now is as good a time as any...

I love designing and making cards, invitations, wedding programs...pretty much any sort of paper product. Jason is creative and can design anything.

We've talked for awhile about making cards and invitations on the side. Jason has been interested in letterpress for several years. We finally started looking online for a letterpress and found a bunch. However, most of them were in California or somewhere up north and the owner wanted someone to come pick it up rather than ship it.

In early January, Jason found a listing for a letterpress–of all places!–in Post, a tiny town about 30-45 minutes away. The owner's father used to have a local print shop, so he also had a ton of accessories. We went to Post, made a bid, and are now blessed with a letterpress!

This past weekend, we bought a workbench and organized the letterpress room.

We've played around with the letterpress, but this week was our first time to try it with ink.

When we bought the letterpress, the owner gave us all of the type and spacers he had. There are probably about 15 packages of unopened type dated from the 70s and 80s.






We bought black ink a few weeks ago.




Our first time with ink...




The letterpress...




We're still learning about the letterpress and figuring out the best ways to do things, but we're having a lot of fun in the meantime!

5 comments:

The Grays said...

So exciting, I can't wait to see work you two do, I know it will be amazing!!!

The Grays said...

ALSO, I miss you!! It seems like it has been forever, hopefully this week all our sicknesses will go away so we can hang out and have a 2 hour "walking out the door" conversation.

jacquelyn said...

Love it, i'm so excited for you guys!

The Metz's said...

That is so cool! I think that would be a great hobby/business...I wish you guys well with it!

The Grays said...

I know I am leaving ANOTHER comment, but Jordan and I were talking about how much we love these photographs! Did you take them with your camera? They are great