4.16.2010

Penalties Are Coming...

As you probably know, Tax Day was yesterday. Jason is so funny about taxes. He likes to wait until the last day to file because why should the government get his money early? He doesn't mind paying taxes, but if he can keep his money longer, that's what he'll do. So he told me he would file our taxes at 11pm on April 15th. I assumed he was serious, but thought, oh well, as long as they're filed by Tax Day it'll be fine. Jason is really good about important deadlines, keeping up with the bills and things like that, so I had no reason to doubt his 11pm deadline.

This morning as I was eating breakfast, Jason hurries in the kitchen. Here's what happened:

J (frantically): "Oh no! I totally forgot to file our taxes last night!"

D (not sure if it's a joke, or if he's serious): "What?! Are you serious?!"

Side note: Last night Jason hung out with a friend. So did I. The taxes aren't considered one of my "responsibilities" so I didn't even think about them yesterday, or even think to remind him or ask if he had already filed them.

Back to the kitchen...

J: "Yeah, I totally forgot about it last night!"
He grabs our tax folder, hurries to the computer and impatiently taps his fingers on the keyboard waiting for it to boot up.

D (kind of annoyed, but not quite freaking out yet): "Great, we'll probably get some $1,000 penalty for filing late."

J (nervously): "No...I'm sure it'll probably be more than that."

D (kind of starting to have a quiet freak out now. Picturing the auditors coming to arrest us. Our house getting trashed by them as they search for whatever it is auditors would search for. I probably got this from a movie or something): "Well, you'd better file them before you go to work."

J (looking up online what the penalty for late filing is): "It's 5% for every month you're late. That won't be too bad."

D (thinking, great, now he'll probably wait until the end of that first month time-period because there's not a payment difference if you filed in the beginning of that month or the end of that month. also feeling a little better because the penalty isn't a crazy amount like I first thought, but still picturing us being taken away for questioning): "Ok, well just send them in!"

J: "I'm just kidding! I filed them yesterday. Remember when you came home from work and I was on the computer? You asked what I was doing and I said 'nothing.' I had just filed them!"

Punk.

So, penalties are coming...

Not from the government...

From me...

I'll get him back...hopefully!

2 comments:

Kathy Lynn said...

Like father, like son! I'm so sorry! :)

jacquelyn said...

that is funny, i'm sure you'll come up with the perfect revenge scheme!!!