6.06.2010

Sugar Rush

Devil's Food cake = rich
Peanut Butter = creamy
Dark Chocolate = sweet
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups = smooth

Mix all of these ingredients together into a cake, and you can go into a sugar coma.

But that's what Jason wanted. That is, a cake with all of these ingredients, not the sugar coma–although he got that too.

I made the Peanut Butter Cup Cake recipe from Bakerella.com:


The cake turned out really good, but it was so rich, I couldn't finish my piece!

I started with one Devil's Food cake mix.


Then I beat 3 eggs, 1 cup of buttermilk and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil into the cake mix.


Chop 2 cups of peanut butter cups and fold them into the batter.


Oops, someone didn't add peanut butter to this Reese's.


I used about 35 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the batter.


Pour the batter into two 9-inch pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. I baked mine an extra two minutes because a toothpick didn't come out completely clean at 30 minutes.


Let the cakes cool completely.

Chop 8 ounces of dark chocolate. I used dark chocolate chips and semi-chopped them.


Bring 1 cup of heavy cream to a boil and then pour over the dark chocolate.


Whisk until the chocolate melts.


Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter...


...and whisk until smooth.


Place one of the cakes on a cake stand. Trim the top so that it is flat. Pour one cup of frosting on top and spread evenly.


Add the second cake layer.


Pour the remaining frosting on the top and sides, and smooth over the cake.


This is where it got tricky. The recipe said to let the frosting set for a minute and then gently press chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups all over the top and sides of the cake. When I did that, the frosting wasn't cool enough so it started to drip off due to the weight of the peanut butter cups. So I stuck the cake in the refrigerator for about 6-7 minutes. When I took the cake out, the frosting had cooled, so it was able to hold the peanut butter cups. Then I just kept adding more and more Reese's until the cake was completely covered.


Put the cake back in the refrigerator for about an hour so it can set.

I was so proud the cake looked good–and tasted good! Next time, I think I will pair it with vanilla ice cream since it was so thick and rich.


If this doesn't fix your chocolate craving, I don't think there's anything out there that will!

No comments: