9.13.2010

Love/Hate Relationship

My mom found this antique plant stand for me earlier this year. I loved it!


Isn't it cute? It fits just perfectly in our hallway.


I decided to make the plant stand my summer project and paint it. It took me awhile to decide what color, but I finally settled on doing a faux crackle finish. I've never done that before, but I thought, how hard could it be?

So I started on this table back in late June. I painted it tan, the color I wanted the cracks to be.


After buying two or three crackle finishes, testing them and finally finding one that I liked (I wanted the porcelain crack, not the weathered crack), I put the crackle finish on top. It cracked beautifully. I was pretty impressed with myself.


Here's where the pictures stop for awhile. The back of the crackle finish bottle said to paint your top color next, which was a nice chocolate brown. So I tried it on the underside of the table first. I didn't like it. It looked like leather–not what I wanted. After researching for awhile, I bought a glaze. The picture in the brochure for the glaze was just what I wanted! I tried that on another part of the underside. Again, I didn't like it. I decided I didn't like the table now. I put it in the corner of the laundry room and didn't touch it for awhile.

After about a month, I got over being mad at the plant stand. I decided to sand the crackle, redo it and paint it chocolate brown.


Again, the pictures stopped. I got mad at the plant stand. It was nothing like I had imagined. So I put it back in my laundry room. I contemplated giving it way or throwing it in the Dumpster.

But I didn't.

Instead, it sat there...

...until I woke up one Saturday morning in late August and decided I was ready to face the table again.

I realized the paint colors were part of the problem–the tan was too similar to our wall color and the chocolate brown was too chocolate brown and bland.


So I mixed them and made a dusty chocolaty brown.


I researched other faux textures. I found one using tissue paper that sounded really easy. I decided to try it.


I painted the table (yet again) the tan color (for a second time). Then I crumpled a piece of tissue paper and wrapped it around the legs; I did the same thing for the top. I used my new dusty brown color and painted over the tissue paper.

It looked like a brown paper lunch sack wrapped around the table. I didn't really like it. I contemplated throwing the table in the Dumpster again.

But I didn't.

Instead, I changed my mind–again.


I decided to see what it would look like if I painted the tan below and on top of the tissue paper. Surprise, surprise...I didn't like that either. So I redid that leg and stuck with the dusty brown.

I went out on a limb and tried the glaze (again). This time, I used cheesecloth. When I first tried the glaze, I had used an old T-shirt–which could've been part of the problem before.


I was very surprised and pretty pleased with the result. I actually liked it! So I kept going. I added two top coats of a clear sealer. My love/hate relationship with this plant stand came to an end–finally!

Now my plant stand is sitting pretty in the hallway.


I realize from afar in the picture it still somewhat resembles a brown paper lunch sack, but up close it's perfect!

3 comments:

The Grays said...

I'm so glad you finally found something that you liked, it looks fabulous it was worth it all!

jacquelyn said...

very pretty!!!

The Metz's said...

Looks good! I tried to crackle an old china cabinet when we moved in our house and had a similiar experience...We sanded the whole thing by sand (bad idea!) The top coat wouldn't crack well, and then I was going to paint it solid black. I started working on it again and left it to dry on our back porch. The wind ended up knocking it over which broke part of the door and then it fell on a large can of black paint, the top popped off and we had a giant blob of sticky black paint all over the porch after 3 weeks of living in our house. I was really upset and frustrated. Jason finally convinced me to get a new one, b/c my love hate relationship had become pure hate! haha!